Backup prevents complete data loss which prevents permanent loss of sensitive and private information. Information repository models are used to provide structure and depth to the data that must be backed up and sorted out of the same. The main concepts of Backup are:
- Recovery Point Object (RPO)
- Recovery Time Object (RTO)
- 3-2-1 Backup Rule.
Keep at least three (3) copies of data.
Store two (2) backup copies on different storage media.
Store one (1) backup copy offsite.
- Security Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
Immutability is a solution that prevents data deletion from the capacity or archive extent. To prohibit data deletion, Veeam Backup & Replication makes it immutable by applying the Object Lock technology provided by Amazon and some S3-Compatible providers.
Backup as a Service or BaaS is a modern-day initiative or attempt that involves the purchase of backup and recovery services from an online provider. This removes the complexity of managing the infrastructure, software, and security of the backup. Instead of data being managed by a centralized system, an outside private, public. or hybrid provider manages the content.
BaaS may be used when an organization has outgrown its legacy storage backup and would have to go through a costly upgrade, or lacks the resources for on-premises, high-level backup. Outsourcing backup and recovery to a provider can also keep data accessible or restorable from a remote location in case of an outage or failure.
Orient Technologies as a Good BaaS Provider
Recovery support – Orient Technologies provides regular knowledge of the customer’s data and round-the-clock data recovery through a Service Dashboard with support via chat, email, or call. In case of any disruption, the BaaS would be used to speedily Self recover the data. Backup allows data with multiple recovery points and as per Backup Policy. Customized services – Any efficient BaaS provider would be flexible in its functioning in the aspect of increasing its data backup frequency and the IT infrastructure of data storage.
Security – A good BaaS would employ world-class security protocols. Top-notch safeguards like network firewalls and data encryption should be there at the data center, Security is enforced by integration with AD, and LDAP.
Recovery SLA (RTO & RPO) – Three terms known as SLA (service level agreement), RTO (recovery time objective), and RPO (recovery point objective) should be clearly defined while choosing a BaaS provider. Both values should be as low as possible because RTO defines the time taken for the recovery process whereas RPO defines the frequency of data backup.
Disaster Recovery (DR)
DR is an add-on to backup and allows Business Continuity with DATA based on RPO, the data is to be stored at multiple locations geographically so that the data is not permanently damaged or lost even if one of these locations is compromised due to some cyberattack on the provider itself.
Advantages of Backup as a Service
- Ease of management is increased by rotations of storage devices as per MTBF, manual movement of data to offsite locations, and performing of more efficient deduplication. So, the BaaS takes care of data availability at 99.99999999%.
- BaaS takes up a monthly fee depending on the number of users and the size of Data Backed up which allows flexibility for businesses and entrepreneur start-ups that are on a tight budget to pay for what they actually need rather than the combined package. The cost of ownership also gets cut down by a great margin because there is no hardware component involved that might become useless due to wear and tear over the years.
- AES 256-bit encryption of backup data makes it secure, and safe comes 3 copies of Data stored in physical different Data centers with the usage of BaaS. Regular testing of the customer’s data and running various safety procedures on it are part of the ongoing process to ensure unparalleled security.
- BaaS enables continuous business protection by storing data in a remote location so that any harm that might be caused due to malicious attacks like ransomware attacks can be avoided.
- Ease of addition and removal of data and infrastructure is extremely easy with backup as a service as it provides the customer with cloud backup.
Using Backup as a service addresses3-2-1, immutability, single window management, encryption, and scalability in a simple and efficient manner.